2012 NFL Free Agent Positions:
| FA Grades
| FA Mock
2012 Free Agency:
Star rating is out of five. Age listing as of Sept. 1, 2012.
Follow me @walterfootball
2012 NFL Free Agent Positions:
Drew Brees, QB, Saints. Age: 33.
Franchised by Saints
Drew Brees just turned 33, but he's still going to be one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL for a few more years. He holds Dan Marino's record for most passing yards in a single season, but he'll need another Super Bowl ring to go down as one of the all-time greats. He'll be franchised.
Peyton Manning, QB, Colts. Age: 36.
Signed with Broncos (5 years, $96 million)
It's still hard to believe that Peyton Manning is a free agent. Manning would be a five-star player if it weren't for his neck injury, so I'm docking him half a star. Knowing Manning though, it's hard to imagine him not playing like an All-Pro next year in an attempt to prove that he can still perform at the highest level.
Matt Flynn, QB, Packers. Age: 27.
Signed with Seahawks (3 years, $26 million; $10 million guaranteed)
When Matt Flynn threw for 480 yards in a Week 17 win over the Lions, he passed for more yardage than any Packer quarterback in a single game. There's a limited sample size, but the potential is clearly there. Flynn will be a starter somewhere next season. It's also worth noting that Charley Casserly, the man who spent early picks on David Carr and Dave Ragone, doesn't think too highly of Flynn. This could very well mean that Flynn has Pro Bowl potential.
Alex Smith, QB, 49ers. Age: 28.
Re-signed with 49ers
Alex Smith threw for 3,150 yards, 17 touchdowns and only five interceptions in his first season under Jim Harbaugh. His two fourth-quarter drives against the Saints were a thing of beauty.
Jason Campbell, QB, Raiders. Age: 30.
Signed with Bears
Look up the definition of mediocre in the dictionary, and you'll probably find a picture of Jason Campbell. Campbell has been really consistent in his two years with the Raiders, completing about 60 percent of his passes and throwing slightly more touchdowns than interceptions.
Brian Hoyer (RFA), QB, Patriots. Age: 26.
Re-signed with Patriots (1 year, $1.92 million)
The Patriots like Brian Hoyer, and I do too. I'd like to see him get a chance to start somewhere in 2013. For now, he'll continue to back up the Golden Boy.
Josh Johnson, QB, Buccaneers. Age: 26.
Signed with 49ers (2 years)
Josh Johnson has some nice skills and the upside to potentially make some team believe that it can groom him into a starting quarterback.
Kyle Orton, QB, Chiefs. Age: 29.
Signed with Cowboys (3 years)
Kyle Orton has proven that he can be a solid game-manager when surrounded by a quality supporting cast. That's all he is though.
Shaun Hill, QB, Lions. Age: 32.
Re-signed with Lions (2 years)
Shaun Hill has proven himself as one of the top backup quarterbacks in the NFL.
Dennis Dixon, QB, Steelers. Age: 27.
Dennis Dixon has some upside as a potential starter. He's a good backup, at the very least.
Billy Volek, QB, Chargers. Age: 36.
I can't say I understand why the Chargers cut Billy Volek. He can still serve as a really reliable backup quarterback and passable spot-starter.
Rex Grossman, QB, Redskins. Age: 32.
Re-signed with Redskins (1 year)
Rex Grossman has proven himself as a capable backup quarterback, but he commits too many turnovers to be a starter.
Chad Henne, QB, Dolphins. Age: 27.
Signed with Jaguars (2 years)
Chad Henne has some solid physical tools, but it appears as if he'll never have the mental aspect of football down. Still, I'd like to see what he could do with some really good coaching.
Josh McCown, QB, Bears. Age: 33.
Re-signed with Bears (1 year)
Josh McCown was pretty impressive in two starts late in the year. He's a solid backup quarterback.
Donovan McNabb, QB, Vikings. Age: 35.
Constantly overrated by the media, Donovan McNabb is fat and lazy. He's also a bad guy to have in the locker room because he throws teammates under the bus and seldom takes the blame. He could be a good backup quarterback if he were willing to accept the role. But his enormous ego will get in the way of that.
David Garrard, QB, Jaguars. Age: 34.
Signed with Dolphins (1 year)
David Garrard is an old quarterback with back problems. He can be a good backup and a decent spot starter, but no team should count on him to be under center very much in 2012.
- Drew Stanton, QB, Lions. Age: 28. -- Signed with Jets (1 year)
- Dan Orlovsky, QB, Colts. Age: 29. -- Signed with Buccaneers (2 years)
- Charlie Batch, QB, Steelers. Age: 37. -- Re-signed with Steelers (1 year)
- Vince Young, QB, Eagles. Age: 29. -- Signed with Bills (1 year, $2 million)
- Matt Leinart, QB, Texans. Age: 29. -- Signed with Raiders
- Byron Leftwich, QB, Steelers. Age: 32. -- Re-signed with Steelers
- Brady Quinn, QB, Broncos. Age: 27. -- Signed with Chiefs
- Chase Daniel (RFA), QB, Saints. Age: 25. -- Re-signed with Saints (1 year)
- Kellen Clemens, QB, Rams. Age: 29. -- Re-signed with Rams (1 year)
- Sage Rosenfels, QB, Vikings. Age: 34. -- Re-signed with Vikings (2 years)
- Troy Smith, QB, Steelers. Age: 28.
- A.J. Feeley, QB, Rams. Age: 35.
- Derek Anderson, QB, Panthers. Age: 29. -- Re-signed with Panthers (1 year)
- David Carr, QB, Giants. Age: 33. -- Re-signed with Giants
- Charlie "Whithart" Whitehurst, QB, Seahawks. Age: 30. -- Signed with Chargers
- J.P. Losman, QB, Dolphins. Age: 31.
- Kyle Boller, QB, Raiders. Age: 31. -- Announced retirement
- John Beck, QB, Redskins. Age: 31. -- Signed with Texans
- Luke McCown, QB, Jaguars. Age: 31. -- Signed with Saints
- Jake Delhomme, QB, Texans. Age: 37.
- Chris Redman, QB, Falcons. Age: 35. -- Re-signed with Falcons
- Mark Brunell, QB, Jets. Age: 41. -- Announced retirement
- Kerry Collins, QB, Colts. Age: 39.
- Kevin O'Connell, QB, Jets. Age: 27.
- Caleb Hanie, QB, Bears. Age: 27. -- Signed with Broncos
- Curtis Painter, QB, Colts. Age: 27. -- Signed with Ravens
- Max Hall, QB, Cardinals. Age: 26.
| FA Grades
| FA Mock
Fantasy Football Rankings - July 28
2016 NFL Mock Draft - July 28
2016 NBA Mock Draft - June 29
2016 NBA Mock Draft - May 7
2015 NFL Mock Draft - April 30
NFL Picks - Feb. 1
NFL Free Agents